I'm sure many a times you would have made Pulav or similar rice which turned to be very spicy and you keep thinking what would be best as a side. Raita is simple and tasty, but I wanted to make something different. I wanted to make something with yogurt\buttermilk as base. So with this in mind I opened my fridge and looked into veggies box. I had a pack of flat green beans. The rest went as below....
- 1 cup beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 tbl sp besan (Gram\chickpea flour)
- 1-2 tsp dried coconut(optional)
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves (roughly mashed)
- 1/2 spoon finely chopped ginger
- 2-3 red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-5 pepper corns
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- chilli powder
- Heat about 2-3 tsp oil.
- When heated add mustard, cumin, red chilli and curry leaf to sputter.
- To this add ginger, garlic, pinch of turmeric, crushed pepper corn and 1/2 tsp chilli powder.
- When the garlic gets slightly roasted, add the cut beans.
- Let the beans cook well.
- Meanwhile add besan to yogurt and buttermilk. Mix well to avoid lumps. To this add water to thin the mixture to desired consistency.
- When the beans are cooked, sprinkle some coconut powder(you could even add few drops of coconut oil) and turn off the heat.
- To this add the yogurt mixture and salt, stir well and keep covered.