Another delicacy, wonderful for winter... full of protiens and vitamins from daal and veggi all together in one dish!!!
- 1 cup rice (regular, not basmati)
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 3 tsp chana dal
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 cardamon pods
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1-2 tsp pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- 4-6 dry chillies (as per desired spice levels)
- green chillies(optional)
- tamarind extract(soak about 1 tsp in 1/4 cup warm water)
- curry leaves 1-2 sprigs
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 tsp musturd
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 1/2 onion
- Veggies - carrots, potato, beans, peas, corn, capsicum, etc
- Heat cooker without oil.
- Add pepper corns, cloves, slightly crushed whole cardamon and cinnomon stick, chana dal, urad dal, methi seeds, coriender seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry until you smell the fine aroma of roasted spices.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- While it cools, chop about 2 cups desired veggies and also soak 1/2 cup dal in warm water.
- Finely chop onion.
- Grind the spice misture to dry powder.
- Now heat the cooker with about 2 tsp oil and 1/2- 1 tsp Ghee.
- As oil heats add musturd and jeera to sputter.
- Next add chopped onion.
- The onion need not be fired too much, add the veggies.
- Now add the powder and mix .
- Add soaked dal(do not discard the water) and rice. To this add about 5 cups water(including the dal soaked water).
- Finally add the peanuts, tamarind extract and salt.
- Let cook for about 5 mins as you stir.
- If you feel it less spicy then add cut green chilles and close the lid.
- Allow 3 whistles on HIGH.
- Open when pressure is down. You may notice some water on top, mix well and it is ready to be served!!!
- Garnish with chopped coriender.
- Side to this can be chips, papad or pakoras. Since I made it bit more spicy, I had raita for side.