Collard Greens

The first time I tasted Collard Greens, I knew I wanted to make them my mate!! I loved the bitter-green chunky taste. Well some would describe it as yuk, collard greens no way is anything near to be called as fav food. Every time I came across this green devil, I spent a few minutes thinking how best I could turn them to taste such that when I make it, all agree to eat it. I started to search online for recipes and really found nothing that seemed interesting. In fact a major disappointment was that none of these recipes really retained the greens as a veggie dish!! This made me wonder, did the eatery that I ate this make it with meat broth too?? And if so I don't think I'd be having it again.

With this in mind and not letting go the liking to collard greens, I decided to make them myself. Below is first recipe that I tried. I've tried best to replicate to what we get at restaurants.



Ingredients :-
  • 2-3 cups fresh\frozen collard greens
  • 1/2 onion (cut square chunks)
  • 2-4 small green chillies
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 inch ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp pepper powder
  • 1/4 cup canned or diced tomatoes (8-10 cherry tomatoes will be great!)
  • salt
  • oil
  • water
Method:-
  1. Crush ginger, garlic, cumin and green chillies to paste. Need not be very smooth paste.
  2. Heat a cooking pot and add about 2 tsp oil.
  3. As oil heats add onion and saute.
  4. When the onion turns translucent add the above crushed paste.
  5. Saute for another 5 mins and then add the collard greens and mix well.
  6. Cover the pot and leave for 5 mins.
  7. Next add pepper powder, tomatoes and water(1 - 2 cups as desired).
  8. Cover and let cook 45 mins to 1 hr. You will notice it changes color from green to brownish green.
  9. Keep checking often for water levels and add water if needed.
  10. Add salt and serve with a dab of butter :-).
I've had this with plain hot rice and Indian pickle, mushed it well with steaming rice. Also goes fine with chapati. At most times I eat it just by itself in a bowl with a side of either baked potatoes or boiled corn.

No comments: